Position: Construction Observer
Legat Architects is seeking to hire a person with significant knowledge of building detailing and construction with a minimum of 12 – 15 years of relevant experience to serve as a full-time, on-site construction observer for a new building in Waukegan, IL. The construction phase is expected to start in July 2020 and run through the summer of 2022.
About Legat Architects
Legat Architects, Inc. is a design practice specializing in planning, architecture, and interior design with studios in Chicago, Oak Brook, Gurnee, Moline, IL, and Columbus, OH. The firm’s portfolio includes commercial, governmental, healthcare, higher education, hospitality, mixed-use, preK-12 education, and transportation facilities. We believe in the transformative power of design and architecture. Our approach to design is collaborative and inclusive. We believe in architecture that inspires and elevates the individual. We are committed to creating energy efficient, high-performance sustainable environments that promote all aspects of well-being.
- Thoughtful and thorough communicator that is eager to observe, listen, learn, and teach
- Creative problem solver that has a strong desire to achieve the highest quality solutions in the built environment
- Knowledgeable leader in the construction industry in how things are put together with respect to building systems, materials, and exterior envelope
- Creative collaborator with design and environmental sensitivity and sensibility that can clearly and concisely present their ideas, communicate them in drawings, and ultimately execute them in built form
- Passionate craftsperson with a curiosity for detailing and how things are put together
- Efficient, organized manager of time and resources
- Proactive leader that inspires, emphasizes team, and rigorously seeks more
- Possess organization skills including ability to manage and prioritize tasks efficiently and effectively, and show initiative when responding to direction and resolving complex issues
- Understand materials, their finishes and appropriate detailing, their benefits and limitations, their cost and availability, their cleaning and maintenance requirements, and their sustainable characteristics
- Be an experienced advocate for using sustainable materials
- Have familiarity with LEED, WELL Building Standard, and the International Living Future Institute
- Communicate with the entire architectural and engineering design team to resolve conflicts and develop appropriate solutions
- Understand budget, accessibility codes, industry standard practices and constructability, and possess the ability to resolve the impacts of these on the design, detailing, and construction of a project.
- Assist the project team with construction administration in-office and on-site submittal review and coordination responsibilities.
- Review and evaluate the construction work with respect to the contract documents and product requirements
Come and see if we might be a good fit for each other. Please submit a cover letter with explanation of how you meet the requirements with a resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Clearly indicate what position(s) you are interested in pursuing in the subject heading of the email.
Legat Architects is an Equal Opportunity Employer, offers flexible hours, a flexible benefit schedule, profit sharing, and a 401(k) plan.