Hinsdale Middle School Concept
Competition concept places the student at the center of every decision
This contemporary middle school concept, inspired by meetings with students, addresses outdoor learning, urbanism, and collaborative process. The design relies on a “stack” method of curriculum development and calls for building the facility around the existing school for zero interruption to the educational year.
- Two bio-atria bring light and nature into facility
- Living Building Challenge demonstration library
- Rooftop gardens grow produce for school use and support science curriculum
- Rainwater harvesting system
- Urban design and massing connect new school with fabric of the community