Energy- and water-efficient systems bring Horticultural Sciences department new ways of growing, conserving, and teaching
The Joliet Junior College (JJC) Greenhouse Facility is the first community college (and second of any college or university) greenhouse to achieve LEED-NC certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Three passively and mechanically ventilated greenhouses provide flexible, sustainable growing environments. The 11,900-square-foot facility contains 3 greenhouses, a multipurpose classroom, a head house for potting, a pesticide storage room, and shared office space.
- Rainwater harvesting system
- Mechanically ventilated roof opens and closes based on temperature needs
- CO2 generator
- Horizontal air flow fans
- Thermal curtains to retain heat; blackout curtain for extended night
- High intensity discharge lights
- Outdoor temperature satellite