King Elementary School Expansion/Renovation
Additions/renovations pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr., improve safety, enhance capacity, and refresh image
A districtwide consolidation at Galesburg CUSD #205 increased King Elementary School’s (K-4) capacity. An expansion and renovation not only prepare the school to welcome more students but also bring it up to date with other district schools.
The 19,500-square-foot addition relocates the main office from the center of the building to the front. The move creates a safe, controlled entry into the building along with office space to serve the administration and nurse. A second addition includes a new gym and event entry/lobby, as well as kindergarten, first-grade, and second-grade classrooms.
More than 40,000 square feet in renovations cover the entire building from floor to roof. The project also includes a new, large playground that replaces dated smaller playgrounds with one safe location with modern equipment.
- Martin Luther King Jr. feature wall welcomes visitors to lobby addition
- Unique color in each classroom pod improves wayfinding
- Expanded media center serves more students
- Glass overhead doors connect media center to entry lobby
- New walls, doors, and finishes throughout facility
- New mechanical and electrical systems
- New roof