Hamilton Elementary School
Community-inspired school emphasizes versatility, interaction, and discovery
Moline-Coal Valley School District 40’s facilities suffered: severely outdated rooms, inefficient infrastructure, and obsolete technology.
Today, the new Hamilton Elementary School—the district’s first new school in 50 years—offers an entirely different experience. Classrooms and interactive learning spaces encourage critical thinking. Students devise strategies and share ideas in an “Imaginarium” and “Discovery Lab.” Groups of teachers tailor classes based on students’ learning and social needs.
- Learning Stair encourages spontaneous interaction and hosts presentations
- Classrooms surround an Imaginarium filled with open collaboration spaces
- Two-story media center uses the “distributed” media center model
- Discovery Lab offers STEM space for science clubs and co-curricular activities
- Music room doubles as stage that opens to both the gymnasium and the commons area
- Sliding doors between classrooms create more teaching options